Postdoctoral Position at ISOLDE
Although you will be part of the Quantum Solid State Physics division of the department of Physics and Astronomy, KU Leuven (Belgium), you will be permanently stationed at CERN (Switzerland). In particular, within CERN, you will be embedded in the ISOLDE facility, joining several other postdoctoral researchers, senior researchers, technical staff, and PhD students, carrying out experimental research in condensed matter physics and nuclear physics.
- You will coordinate the use, upgrade and maintenance of several experimental stations at the ISOLDE facility at CERN, which are dedicated to solid-state physics research using radioactive ions as probes (e.g. channeling and hyperfine techniques).
- You will contribute to various research programs within the QSP division and the ISOLDE collaboration.
- You will closely collaborate with KU Leuven researchers (stationed at CERN or in Leuven) as well as with other users of the ISOLDE facility.
- You will contribute with your own expertise and will receive additional training.
- You hold a PhD in Physics, Materials Science or Engineering, obtained after August 2017.
- You are experienced with experimental techniques such as ion implantation, ion beam analysis, hyperfine methods, using radioactive or stable isotopes. In particular, you are experienced with designing, building and maintaining experimental setups.
- Experience with the following is advantageous: particle detectors (including their integration in complex experimental setups); development of software for control of experimental setups and data acquisition.
- Excellent knowledge of the English language (spoken and written) and good skills of communicating within a research group.
- Capability to work in a team as well as independently, problem-solving attitude.
We offer a full-time postdoctoral research position, for one year, extendable to up to three years.