Enhancing diversity and broadening participation, within nuclear astrophysics and the field of physics at large, are important goals of JINA-CEE. We encourage you to explore the tools, resources, data, and research below that we found to be helpful for rising awareness, and for making progress towards a diverse and inclusive research and teaching environment in nuclear astrophysics.
2020 AIP Team-Up Report
- Cognitive Reserve and Racial Privilege in STEM by Melise Edwards
- Doing Science While Black by Edward J. Smith
- Prejudgement Call by multiple contributors
- Am I going crazy?!”: A Critical Race Analysis of Doctoral Education by Gildersleeve et al.
- Bait and Switch: Representation, Climate, and Tensions of Diversity Work in Graduate Education by Slay et al.
- Graduate students’ agency and resistance after oppressive experiences by Perez et al.
- Racial Identity and Physics
- Picture a Scientist Film
Tools for Inclusive Advising/Mentoring/Teaching
- A talk: Challenges around Unconscious Bias by Maydianne Andrade
- Imposter syndrome threatens diversity, By Chrousos and Mentis
- Implicit Bias Test
- Mentoring Tips from Science
- Notice group dynamics in meetings
- Inclusive teaching
- Scientist Spotlight Homework Assignments Shift Students' Stereotypes of Scientists and Enhance Science Identity in a Diverse Introductory Science Class, Schinske et al.
Conference Organizing: Best Practices and Resources
Hiring: Best Practices and Resources
- AURA guide to recruiting and hiring
- AURA pamphlet on unconscious bias
- UC Berkeley Guide to recruiting graduate students
- “We Are All for Diversity, but . . .”: How Faculty Hiring Committees Reproduce Whiteness and Practical Suggestions for How They Can Change by Senzoy et al.
- APS List of Minority Science Organizations
- Tips for Hiring and Recruiting Minorities and Women for Faculty Positions (APS)
- LGBT Climate in Physics Report
- Expectations of brilliance underlie gender distributions across academic disciplines
- Science faculty’s subtle gender biases favor male students
- Faculty Service Loads and Gender
- Gender and Letters of Recommendation for Academia
- Student evaluations of physics teachers: On the stability and persistence of gender bias
- Student Bias in Teacher Evaluations (online courses)
- Quantitative Evaluation of Gender Bias in Astronomical Publications from Citation Counts
- The Effect of Instructor Race and Gender on Student persistence in STEM Fields
- Women in physics: A comparison to STEM over four decades
- Women and men’s career choices in astronomy and astrophysics
- Motivational pathways to STEM Career Choices
More: External Lists of Best Practices and Resources
- Inclusive Astronomy: The Nashville Recommendations
- APS Women in Physics
- APS Minorities in Physics
- AAS Committee on Minorities in Astronomy
- AstroBetter Wiki of Collected resources
- Advancing a Respectful and Caring Community: Learning by doing at MIT
- Racial Equity Tools
- Decolonising Science Reading List by Chanda Prescod-Weinstein
- Twitter thread with studies and resources for educators and scientists