JINA-CEE Visitor Steps

  • Step 1
    Anyone interested in visiting JINA-CEE should contact the local PI or senior investigator at the institution of interest. The JINA-CEE Director and host institution seniorinvestigator will review the request, address any concerns or questions and confirm the visit with the visitor and other relevant parties. Any travel funding request will be evaluated and the source and amount of support determined and approved.
  • Step 2
    When the visit is confirmed, the visitor fills out the Visitor Form on the JINA-CEE website. Indicate whether travel funding is being provided by JINA-CEE.
  • Step 3
    After the visit is approved, a JINA-CEE site coordinator will contact the visitor to coordinate travel arrangements and reimbursement (compliant with JINA-CEE grant requirements and site institution travel guidelines regarding applicable restrictions on airlines and maximum lodging and per-diem rates). Contact information for travel questions to core JINA-CEE institutions is below. For help with other site visits, contact Dawn Welch, JINA-CEE Administrator.
  • Step 4
    The JINA-CEE contact will coordinate travel arrangements with the visitor to ensure compliance with grant restrictions and travel guidelines. Note: If the visitor makes their own arrangements prior to this step of the process that are not compliant with requirements and guidelines, associated expenses may not be reimbursable.
  • Step 5
    The visitor pays all expenses during the visit. For MSU visitors, airfare, some ground transportation, and lodging (depending on the hotel) can be direct billed to JINA-CEE. 
  • Step 6
    Following the visit, the visitor submits receipts for covered expenses to the JINA-CEE contact within thirty (30) days of the visit. 
  • Step 7
    The reimbursement is processed and the visitor receives a mailed check for the covered expenses within six (6) weeks of submission. 


If you are being reimbursed for airfare, travelers on federal-funded trips must book the lowest priced coach/economy class airfare available. Be sure to keep all airline tickets/receipts (including your boarding passes). If you have an e-ticket, we will need a copy of two (2) of the following documentation as support for the reimbursement request:

  1. Copy of on-line/e-mail print out of itinerary reflecting airline, flight numbers, departure/arrival dates and times;
  2. Receipt listing total flight cost, payment method (e.g., Visa ************1234), and evidence of full payment, such as a copy of credit card or bank statement showing airfare charges;
  3. Passenger receipt (this is obtained during check-in or at the KIOSK machines. See the samples).

Please Note: boarding passes are not considered supporting documentation.

Flying Internationally

Travelers flying outside the continental United States must travel on US affiliate carriers at coach rates when at all possible (this is the "Fly America Act"). Note that it is not sufficient that the aircraft is a US carrier's aircraft, or that the flight number is a US carrier's flight number, but the ticket must be issued by a US carrier. 

In times of code sharing, this is non-trivial. Along with the Fly America Act, there have been some Open Skies Agreements between the US and some countries where federal funded transportation is allowed. This includes the EU, and in some cases Australia, Switzerland, and Japan. Of course any rules specified by the grant comes first.

Due to these restrictions, we require that flights are either booked through JINA-CEE/MSU staff (see below) or that JINA-CEE/MSU staff has approved a particular flight before you book it. When we book your flight, it can also be direct billed, which simplifies the process considerably. Please do not book your own flight without contacting JINA-CEE/MSU staff first.

VISA Travel for Foreign Visitors

If you do not have a US passport or permanent resident card, you will need to enter the US as a visitor on a waiver for business or business visa (either WB or B1*). When you arrive in the US, the business purposes should be research collaborations (i.e., a B1* designation on the I-94 card - be sure the port of entry stamps your passport appropriately) or under the visa waiver program and you are requesting a waiver for business purposes (i.e., a WB designation on the I-94 card - be sure the port of entry stamps your passport appropriately) and take the letter of invitation from your host institution with you when you apply.

For travelers coming from countries who participant in the VISA waiver program, please note new requirements for this visa went into effect September 8, 2010 for Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) registration. You must apply for the ESTA prior to travel at the following link: https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/. Either status (B1 or WB) will enable us to reimburse travel, meals, and lodging expenses; however, we must have a copy of your passport page and stamped visa page to reimburse expenses.

When you arrive at your US destination, the first thing you should do is see the appropriate JINA-CEE administrator at your host institution. The JINA-CEE administrator will need a copy of your passport page and visa page (WB or B1) to reimburse expenses. You may also have to fill out various forms related to your stay with JINA-CEE. Please note that without copies of these documents and all of the appropriate forms completed before you leave the US, JINA-CEE may not be able to reimburse your expenses. So, it is very important that this be done as soon as possible during your stay.

Note: Countries that do not participant in the Visa Waiver Program will need to apply to their Embassy or Consulate for the B1 visa. It is important that you state you are planning a temporary business related travel to the United States for independent research with no salary or income from a US based source, or benefit to US institution. More information on B1 visa: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/business.html.

Important: Be sure to check with the US embassy in your country and with the US Department of State for the latest regulations and rules for entering the US as these are constantly changing. See https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas.html for more information.

Contact Information